Ruturaj Gaikwad was born on 31st January 1997 in Pune, Maharashtra, India. The 24 years old cricketer is a right-hand batsman who has performed impressively well in the domestic grounds of cricket especially. His mother Savita Gaikwad works as a primary school teacher while his father Dashrath Gaikwad is a former defense research officer.
Ruturaj started playing cricket with the leather ball when he was 5 years old and his interest in cricket started to gain more prominence with passing time. At the age of 6, Ruturaj went to watch a match between Australia and New Zealand in the year 2003, and the young kid was impressed with the way Brendon McCullum batted in the game.
Later, at the age of 11, Ruturaj Gaikwad joined the Vengsarkar Cricket Academy located in Pune for his further guidance regarding cricket.
Also read about Indias new sensation Mohammed Azharuddeen
Early Cricket Career
Ruturaj had played in Maharashtra Under-14 and Under-16 teams but he got more attention during his Under-19 days. He finished as the second-highest scorer in the Cooch Behar trophy. He also successfully scored 826 runs in only 6 games with much appreciated three centuries and one-half century.
Ruturaj’s journey of successful performances did not stop here as it was only the start. After that, Ruturaj comfortably scored a triple century with 522 runs partnership in Maharashtra Invitation Tournament held in 2015.
These brilliant performances of him and helped him form a place in India Under-19 team selected for playing World Cup 2016.
Also read about Dhruv Shorey
When he was 19 years old, he played his first-class debut match for Maharashtra’s Ranji team in 2016-17. He made his T20 debut against Mumbai in the Inter-State T20 tournament held on 2nd February 2017. In the very same month and on 25th February.
Ruturaj Gaikwad started his List-A cricket career by playing in Vijay Hazare Trophy against Himachal Pradesh. He scored 132 runs in that match and single-handedly won the match for his team. This was the most memorable and successful debut for him.
Scoring 444 runs in just seven matches at a commendable average of 63.42 with three half-centuries and one century, the youngster touched new heights of success. Ruturaj is currently a part of the following domestic cricket teams including India A, India B, India Blue, Maharashtra, India Under-23 team, and Chennai Super Kings.
Also read about IPL top match highlights
Ruturaj’s IPL Career
During the team’s five-day camp in Chennai, wicketkeeper-batsman Gaikwad reportedly impressed skipper Mahindra Singh Dhoni. Ruturaj was selected by Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the 2019 IPL player auction for his base price of INR 20 lakhs.
Ruturaj made his debut for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) on 23rd September 2020 against Rajasthan Royals (RR). His IPL debut was not that successful as he was sent back to the pavilion on the very first ball but in the latter three matches, he conveniently scored three consecutive half-centuries.
Know Your Player
Ruturaj’s and his Encounter with Corona Virus before IPL Tournament
Ruturaj Gaikwad was selected as one of the front runners to bat in the top order for Chennai Super Kings in the 2020 IPL season, in the absence of Suresh Raina, who backed out due to personal reasons.
However, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Deepak Chahar, and ten other members of the support staff tested positive for COVID-19 just before the season started. Ruturaj was then placed in quarantine to recover from the disease before returning to training, but he had to wait for his chance because Chennai Super Kings don’t like to make too many changes to their lineup after the first match.
He was given a chance against the Rajasthan Royals at Sharjah Cricket Stadium, but he was dismissed on the first delivery.
The team management of Chennai Super Kings gave the young boy another chance against Royal Challengers Bangalore at Dubai International Cricket Stadium later. And this time, Gaikwad succeeded in delivering good performance.
It was time for him to shine as a batsman for his team after his heroics as a fielder. Ruturaj Gaikwad opened the innings, chasing a 146-run mark, and scored an unbeaten 65 runs off 51 deliveries to help Chennai Super Kings earn their victory of the season.
Imagine you’re all set to play in the world’s most prestigious cricket league, but you get sick with a life-threatening disease like COVID-19 just before the match.
Gaikwad spoke at the post-match presentation about how difficult it was for him to return to the team after testing positive for the coronavirus disease because he had to re-enter mandatory quarantine and then return to training.
Finally, Ruturaj Gaikwad was able to make a strong comeback and demonstrate to the world what he is capable of doing for the franchise in the long run.
Also read Best catches in IPL history
Achievements of Ruturaj Gaikwad
- The Pune native was kept in the CSK squad ahead of the IPL 2020, but he tested positive for COVID-19 just before the tournament began. But he soon recovered well and appeared in the tournament’s final stages. He batted well at the top of the order, scoring 204 runs at an average of 51.0 in six matches.
- Gaikwad was confident and assured as he destructively fought against the Sunrisers Hyderabad’s bowling attack in IPL 2021, scoring 75 off 44 balls.
- Gaikwad smartly scored an unbeaten 187* as well for India A against Sri Lanka A in the year 2019.
- Ruturaj was selected in the India Blue team’s squad for the 2019-2020 Duleep Trophy 2019.
- Until the year 2014, his cricket career was average. Then he scored 826 runs in the Cooch Behar Trophy, including three centuries and one-half century, for an average of 82.60.
- In the following season, he scored 875 runs for Maharashtra, including four centuries and three half-centuries at an average of 97.22.
- Ruturaj Gaikwad was selected in India’s squad for the ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup in 2018.
Read some handpicked Posts
Ruturaj Gaikwad’s batting and bowling statistics in IPL
Analyzing Ruturaj Gaikwad’s batting career statistics in the Indian Premier League so far, we get to see that a total of 12 matches were played by the youngster in which he scored 396 runs with an average of 39.60 and at a decent strike rate of 124.92. His highest in IPL so far is marked as 75(44 Balls) and he has completed five half-centuries till now.
He is yet to fulfill the bowling services at IPL. But he has contributed in the area of fielding in a quite impressive and acceptable manner.
Overall Batting and Fielding Statistics
|First-Class||21||1349||129 v Odisa||38.54||50.84||161||15|
|List A||59||2681||187* v Sri Lanka A||47.87||97.59||282||63|
|T20-Domestic||45||1333||82* v himachal||33.32||130.55||131||43|
While studying Gaikwad’s playing methods, performances and statistics comprehensively, one would not hesitate to admit that the youngster can prove to be a great source of help for the National Indian cricket team in the future.
Only if he pays more attention to his consistent batting, he can succeed in furthermore and upcoming phases of his cricket career as well. He needs to thrive hard, in the same way, to make a prominent name in the world of cricket.
More Facts and Information About Ruturaj Gaikwad
- Ruturaj Gaikwad made his first-class debut for Maharashtra in 2016 when he was 19 years old. He only managed 15 runs batting in one innings in his debut against Jharkhand at the Feroz Shah Kotla Stadium in Delhi after injuring himself while fielding.
- He scored a century for the Board President’s XI against the England Lions.
- Gaikwad debuted in first-class cricket against Jharkhand in Delhi on October 6, 2016. He scored 15 in the first innings but was unable to bat in the second due to an injury sustained during the match.
- Gaikwad made his T20 debut against Mumbai in Vadodara on February 2, 2017. This was a matchup from the 2016–17 Inter-State Twenty-20 Tournament. In this game, he hit 9 runs.
- Gaikwad a fine and comfortable luxury lifestyle. He earns a good amount of money from his primary income medium that is cricket and his secondary income medium including brands advertisement and TV ads etc.
- In India’s final match against West Indies in July 2017, he was dismissed on 99. With 207 runs in the five-match ODI series, he finished as the series’ second-highest run-scorer.
- He is also a part-time off-spinner in addition to batting.
- Gaikwad’s favorite pastimes are traveling and reading books.
- Virender Sehwag, the former Indian opener, and Rohit Sharma, the new Indian opener, are both favorite inspirations of Ruturaj Gaikwad. His other main favorite personality from cricket is Kane Williamson.
- Ruturaj is also a huge fan of Bollywood actor, Salman Khan.
- His net worth is approximately around 2-5 million.
- If he was not a cricketer, he would have been a tennis player; Ruturaj talked about himself in an interview conducted.